It’s that time of year again, when the beautiful sunny days are replaced with dark ominous clouds. If you have solar panels on your roof then you may feel a little more anxious about storms. But don’t worry! This blog post will give you some tips for protecting your solar panels from storm damage. So read on and find out how to protect your solar panel investment this hurricane season!
Solar panels provide a great way to not only save money but also to protect the environment. However, they are not indestructible and if a large storm is on its way your system could be at risk of damage from the high winds and rain. If you have solar panels on your roof then it’s important that you take some precautions before dangerous storms arrive to ensure that your investment stays safe.
After seeing one too many roofs with shingles missing due to damaging hail or trees being uprooted by strong gales we decided enough was enough! We wanted homeowners across America to feel empowered in knowing what they can do to protect their homes from potential damages during a hailstorm or major wind event so we put together a list of tips for protecting your home from harmful weather conditions.
Tips To Protect Solar Panels From Storm Damage
There are many things that you can do before a storm hits to ensure that your home and property stay safe from potential damages.
- See if there is anything you can do around the house to protect it from strong winds such as boarding up windows or tying down items on rooftops with rope or bungee cords tied together tightly. You could even buy some sturdy plywood sheets to place over doors and other vulnerable areas of your home in order to beef them up so they are better prepared for high speeds gusts.
- If possible, move any outdoor furniture inside until the weather has cleared because these items may be easily lifted by high-speed wind gusts and sent flying across your front lawn which will surely cause damage somewhere!
- Make sure that all rain gutters are free of any debris that may have fallen into them over the winter months so they can provide proper drainage during heavy rainfalls.
- Make sure your solar panels are installed correctly and not too close to the edge of your roof. This is important because if they’re at risk for blowing off during a storm, you’ll want them as far from that edge as possible so it’s less likely they’ll fall into harm’s way.
- You should also make sure any screws used to attach the panel frames to the actual mounting system have been coated with silicon or another water-resistant agent which will help prevent rusting in case there were to be some leaks due around those areas after a big hail event.
- It can also be helpful to use clear silicone caulking around all electrical junctions both on the frame itself and where it meets up with other components like the junction box and inverter.
Ask Apricot Solar Experts and they will be able to guide you in the right direction. They will help you save money and time by not having your panels damaged due to a storm.
Read More About How To Help Victims Of Storms And Hurricanes
Solar Panels can help you in lot of ways so save them and save your investment to years of energy savings by using a few simple techniques. You can decrease your ROI if you don’t protect them by a few months so it’s well worth doing.
Taking care of the solar panels is as important as taking care of your roof and windows. That being said, you will have to replace those at some point in time anyway but not your solar panels if you take good care of them!